Friday, April 15, 2011

Where are the Broadway musical singers?


I admit to being a musical fan, going back to my first exposure to Broadway, Mary Martin as Peter Pan. (I also saw her in The Sound of Music. My parents loved Broadway and I went along willingly.) But this NY Times post raises an interesting question. Are we going to lose the great voices of Broadway in exchange for celebrity encounters? 'Are we entering an age when being able to sing to a high standard is no longer a requirement for making appearances in even first-class musical theater productions? The unhappy answer is probably yes. The casting of movie stars has been de rigueur for revivals of classic plays for some time now on Broadway, but in the past couple of seasons we’ve seen the trend encroaching on musical theater terrain, too.' More...

No comments: