Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Douglas Adams, an appreciation

The author of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy died ten years ago. But his books go on. It seems as if he was quite a remarkable fellow away from the page, an environmentalist and animal rights proponent and an unofficial Python, among other things. But, as this article says, mostly he's the author of this five-book trilogy, and that is as it should be.

David Garnett writes for the Guardian: "I came to his work through the 1981 TV adaptation of H2G2, as aficionados know it... At 11, I didn't know science fiction could be like this. I didn't know you could have heroes in dressing gowns and aliens who were destroying the earth just because it was their job. I didn't know people in space would go to pubs and computers might drink tea. I didn't know then that a lot of people would probably argue that H2G2 wasn't actually science fiction, it was comedy or satire. I didn't care. I bought the book."

Read the whole article, So long, Douglas Adams, and thanks for all the books.

No comments: