Monday, May 9, 2011

Why we love Eeyore


He may be the most gloomy character in the Winnie the Pooh universe, but he is also a great favorite. Yesterday was his birthday, and it won't be long before he's seen on-screen again in a new Disney film. So what is the attraction of this almost tragic figure?

Chris Cox discusses it on Guardian's Book Blog:

"In literary terms, Eeyore is the archetypal outsider. The other animals – Pooh, Piglet, Owl and the rest – dwell happily within Hundred Acre Wood, knocking on each others' doors, having tea and embarking on adventures. But not Eeyore. He lives on the other side of the stream in his Gloomy Place – marked on the map as 'Rather Boggy and Sad.' Rather than venture out to see others, he waits for them to pass through his field, which doesn't happen often. 'I have my friends,' he notes ruefully. 'Somebody spoke to me only yesterday. And was it last week or the week before that Rabbit bumped into me and said "Bother!" The Social Round. Always something going on.' "

Read the whole article, Eeyore: Literature's archetypal outsider.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never been able to explain why Eeyore has been one of my favorite characters. Maybe because he is the complete opposite of Tigger who is my other favorite character.